Just a quick(ish) one!
So, almost a year ago now, I finished Dino Disco, quite a rare render for me because it didn’t involve any dragons. 😛 Despite the unusual struggles I had trying to fit it into the memory of a very high-end GPU, and the INSANE render time of 36 hours, I was stupid-happy with the result, and I still think it’s the best render I’ve ever done, although… mrghhh, it’s really hard to say that, actually. Fire Burn, Cauldron Bubble came out so much better than I imagined it would, I loved Decorators in a different kind of way, and I was really happy with my most recent render, Hoarder, too. There’s something about Dino Disco, though. The insanity of it is just a slight step above the others. 😆
Damn it, Mongz, stop digressing and stay on target, this is supposed to be an aside. 😛
Anyway, when I first showed it to someone at work, they quickly noticed something I hadn’t noticed in all my excitement: some of the dinosaurs, specifically the raptors and the rex, looked “shiny”, like they were sweating or something. And AFAIK, reptiles don’t sweat. 😛 Since then, these shiny dinos have become a mini-joke which kept coming up every so often, and while I wanted to fix it, I didn’t want to re-render the scene because I thought it was going to take another 36 hours to fix it. 😛
The memory of that ultra-long render time has passed, though, so I thought I’d pick it up again and fix the damn shiny dinos. 😛 After doing that and checking with the joke-maker, he also pointed out a few other things that I agreed could be improved. Sooo, I did all the changes, let my computer burn for a while, re-applied the postwork on the new render, and voila! Dino Disco v2!
WOO! I think this looks a lot better than the original! 😀
So, aside from fixing the shininess of the dinosaurs, what’s changed? Well, it was pointed out that the central rex’s chest looked unusually white. I was about to pull out the “camera flash” excuse, but I couldn’t deny that it looked a bit wrong, so I dimmed down the key light and mixed in a few more lights to give her chest a bit more colour.
The disco ball also didn’t look right, which I knew about already, because I’d spent a while trying and failing to get it to look nice the first time around. Not sure why I was struggling, because I saw the problem almost immediately after going back to it and looking at the material settings, lol. 😛 I also got some feedback saying the floor wasn’t supposed to be shiny, which I disagreed with, because some crap computer monitors (*cough* Mac *cough*) do still reflect light despite being lit from behind the glass, but agreed that it was a bit too reflective, so I toned it down. I was also given the great idea to add some scratches to the floor, so I added an overlay with various scuffs and claw marks on it. It’s very subtle, but I think it worked nicely. 😀
Also, I found that most of the dinosaurs had some stupid preset subdivision settings on their displacement maps, and on the models themselves. Knocking them down to a realistic level brought memory usage down quite a lot. This, combined with, uh… a very generous “loan” of another 8GB GPU (a 1070Ti), allowed me to render this scene in about half the time of the original: just 18 hours 19 minutes 40.55 seconds! My room was quite hot afterwards and there was this distinctive burning smell in the air and that loan wasn’t technically authorised, but hey! Speed! 😛
That’s about it, I think. Hope you like the improvements! And big thanks to Louie for all the feedback! I never get feedback, so that was nice. 😆