And then, when I installed it, I remembered. Crappy content library that took ages for me to get to grips with, no hideable windows, screwed up subdivision… guh. Was just about to uninstall it, until I said "No, no… let’s give it more of a chance, maybe it’ll pick up a bit."
And… it sort of did. I figured out how to fix the subdivision on the SubDragon (it was appearing in the scene all blocky, and was rendering blocky, too), and I installed a new set of environments and objects, including RoundStone and SquareStone, probably two of the most versatile objects in DS. I found a motherload of objects and environments on RapidShare, and got a premium account to be able to get them within this millenium. ~£6 for 30 days of unlimited downloading, and it was worth every penny.
I DO like the new workflow system in DS3. There’re three buttons at the top of the screen, "Load", "Pose/Animate" and "Render". Each of these buttons take you to different screen setups – I’ve got a single large viewport and the content manager in the "Load" screen, I’ve got three viewports, a smaller content manager, a parameters list, a surface list and the timeline in the "Pose/Animate" screen, and I’ve got one big viewport, a render settings dialog, parameter list and surface list in the "Render" screen. It’s great!
I tried a couple of test renders of random object, and they were fairly unspectacular and pretty badly detailed… until I changed what I like to call the "magic" setting… the BUMPMAP setting! It’s a pretty standard setting, sure, but it’s AWESOME. It usually starts at 0.010 positive and negative, but if you set it to 0.10, your render begins to erupt WIN. And when you create some custom lights and tweak them well, your image screams even MORE win! Just as long as you don’t overdo it, you could make quite an awesome image.
So, now that I’d started to LIKE DS3, I started poking some environments, trying to get a couple of ideas for good renders. I added the RoundStone Well environment, and after a minute or so, something clicked, and I got an idea. Imported a SubDragon, injected some extra morphs, applied a character preset, picked the closest pose to what I wanted from the preset poses (it was MILES away from what I wanted, but it was the closest out of the lot ), posed him until my brain was ready to fall out (the claws were especially difficult), messed with bumpmaps, added lights and shadows… and after many hours, many irritations and two broken limits (the limits were stupid anyway ), I was NEARLY finished.
Here’s the NEARLY finished render:
(BIGGER is better. Apart from when you’re fat. )
(There’s just one tiny thing I wanna change in that render, and I can do it through Photoshop, but it’s not installed at the time of writing. )
Hehe… um… that’s, yeah, that’s awesome. I don’t care if some DAZ Studio nerds or any artists criticise it and say it’s crap, because they’re just WRONG. But yeah, that’s really good, probably my best… although that one of Emerald and Whirlwind was pretty damn good, too.
Still got a couple of things to do, mainly shadow, lighting and texture tweaks, but that’s all, methinks. There probably won’t be an amazing amount of difference between this render and the final render, to be honest.
Heh… it’s funny. I’m doing a programming course… yet I’m quite liking this 3D business. HATE creating objects, though.
Anyhoo, I’ll finish this off later on. Buh-bye for now!